General Installation Guide
From GNU/Linux Guide
Installing GNU/Linux on your PC is easy!
To illustrate this point, here is how you can have GNU/Linux up and running in just 10 simple steps:
- First, backup any important data on your PC.
- Second, choose your Distro.
- Then click the download link to download the CD/DVD/etc. image. This image file is essentially a virtual CD or DVD.
- Burn the image. If you're unfamiliar with this terminology, take heed that it does not involve setting fire to any photo. This just means you need to use a CD/DVD burning application to burn the CD/DVD image onto it.
- Once the CD or DVD is ready, take it out.
- Reboot or turn on the PC you want to install GNU/Linux on after inserting your newly burned CD/DVD.
- Hit the "escape" button to bring up a dialog on your PC and choose to start up from the CD/DVD (this might be a different key, depending on your PC).
- Once the installer has finished starting up, follow the prompts to install your new GNU/Linux OS, either alongside your old OS (such as Microsoft Windows) or replacing it completely with GNU/Linux.
- Put your backup data back in your PC.
- Enjoy your new PC!